Tuesday, October 14, 2008

CASA

I am currently in training to become a CASA-Court Appointed Special Advocate. I am going to be a sworn officer of the court that will act as the judges eyes and ears for a foster child. When a child goes into the foster system they get an attorney and a social worker. Each social worker has 40-50 cases and the attorney has at least that. So my job is to make sure that my assigned child doesn't fall through the cracks. I get full access to the family, school, and medical records. I check out the foster house, talk with my child and make sure that they get what they need. I am so excited to have the opportunity to really make a difference in a childs life. Xian and I are considering opening our house to foster children in the next couple years so this is good research. A chance to get a first hand look at how it all works. It is a volunteer position, a two year committment. They say it is about 6 hours a week, court every 3 to 6 months and minimun monthly visits with my child. Every case in unique so I am earger to see what case i will be assigned. I will keep y'all posted.

3 comments:

Steve said...

That's really awesome Tobi! It's good to know that people like you are out there doing good work.

John and Diane's Adventures said...

Tobi - I'm so proud of you and Christian for getting involved with foster children. I'm glad that California has a program like that. I wonder if Washington does, cuz it sure seems tp me that too many kids up here fall through the bureaucratic cracks. Love you lots, Diane

Nadine said...

WOW that is a crazy dream! And it does sound like we bonded in that dream! It is always been so fascinating to me to learn about the meanings behind dreams… what your psyche is trying to tell you… Maybe you realized that I have been thinking of you recently! The pastor of my church growing up died suddenly (very sad) and even though you didn’t know him or never even set foot in that church… (or even knew me when I went to that church really) there were people there that reminded me of you. Janice Borhman was the owner/director of the gymnastic camp and a member of that old church. Jon Geense and I dated (for a short time, among the midst of other short-lived boyfriends-HA) while we lived in our Sunset Pond apartment! Also, did you know that I now work with Tarren Fix???... and see her on a regular basis! The two of us have a lot of crazy and fun memories from these things- cheering, gymnastics camp- sunset pond apartment… so it is as if Tobi signs are all around me!
Congrats on the wedding date! That is so exciting! And the advocate worker position sounds awesome! Matt and I have actually spoken about becoming foster parents as well. You may be a great resource one day for us as well! And what a blessing you will be to such a department! Anyway, I am glad to hear it! And glad to hear from you! Write anytime and especially about anymore dreams! :)